The course opened on Saint Stephen’s day 1894 with nine holes. It was extended to eighteen holes in 1896 with a new clubhouse and a further nine holes were added in 1971. The championship course follows the original layout although considerably lengthened. The only major change in the hole routing was the insertion in 1927 of a new now famous par three, the 15th hole. Portmarnock Links is arguably the best Championship Course in Ireland. It has hosted all of Irelands major championships from the Irish Ladies Close to the Irish Open and also some of the world’s biggest events including the Canada Cup in 1960 , won by Arnold Palmer and Sam Snead, and the Walker Cup in 1991 when America triumphed by 14/10. Phil Mickelson and David Duval represented America, Padraig Harrington and Paul McGinley played on the home side. Amongst the winners of eighteen Irish Open Championships were Bobby Locke, Sam Torrance, Seve Ballesteros, Ian Woosnam, Bernhard Langer, Jose Maria Olazabal, Ben Crenshaw, Hubert Greene, John O’Leary, Mark James, Ken Browne and Michael Campbell. Bernhard Langer shot 67-68-66-68 in 1987 for a record shattering total of 279 beating the previous best by seven shots. Visitors and Groups will greatly enjoy the traditions and wonderful atmosphere that are the hall marks of Portmarnock.